September 30th – December 1st, 2012. 7 – 10 PM
Opening: October 4th, 2012
About the artist:
My photographic work examines our notion of time in the bustling modern metropolis. Cameras in tow, I travel the world in search of that decisive moment in which modern life and forgotten history are blurred. With traditional film, integral film and digital processes, I shape and distort the field of view in order to create images that question our perception of what is past and present. My most recent project has taken me across the neon landscape of North America, from the former neon capital of North America, Vancouver, BC, to the current glowing desert star, Las Vegas, NV.
- Voted 2009 & 2010 Best Local Artist by Xtra! Mag readers in Toronto.
- 1st Prize for Outstanding Artist at the Sunnyside Juried Art Show.
- Visual Arts award at the Festival International des Arts en Montréal (FIMA) in 2009.
- Queen West Art Crawl Best of Show Award in 2009.
- 1st book, CIRCA: An Urban Retrospect, was published in 2007.
About this series: That Time, That Place
This exhibition features select photographs from two recent series: Buzzing Lights: The Fading Neon Landscape in North America and The Last Summer at Coney Island.
Mixed in with key images from those collections are snapshots taken while driving, dancing and dreaming between destinations. Together, they are a portrait of the disappearing face of our cities; a song for ghosts that lingered long enough to be captured by this wandering photographer.